Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Saturday, March 21, 2009

World Down Syndrome Day


The logo is from this organization: http://www.worlddownsyndromeday.org/index.htm
My one wish and prayer; for international institutions to no longer exist.
My dream; to see children and and adults with Down syndrome walking in crowds in Ukraine and Estonia (and throughout Europe and Asia), and not shut away where no one knows of their existence, hidden in a building they can never leave, where they receive no special therapy, and many stay in bed all day. Imprisoned with no chance to lead a fulfilling life.
For America my wish; that the government stops paying lip service to children and adults with developmental disabilities; that they cease the massive budget cuts that take programs away from the people who desperately need them. We used to do things better here than most of the worlds countries, but I believe we are heading down a slippery slope with the cuts in funding. We cannot allow these drastic changes to occur in the lives of people who truly need the help to have a chance for independent living.

No comments:

Forgive and forget?

My heart is pretty heavy today, happenings of the last week have wounded me; re-opening old wounds. Through this journey into the past, I re...