Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Simple Woman's Daybook

My friend Debra has a beautiful blog, she writes from the heart, and her posts are always thought provoking.

She was talking about trying to find subjects to ponder in her blog and she found this:

Outside my window....

I am thinking...

I am thankful for...

I am learning...

From the kitchen...

I am wearing...

I am creating...

I am going...

I am reading...

Around the house...

One of my favorite things...

A few plans for the rest of the week:

Here is picture for thought I am sharing...

Sometimes I click "new post" and just sit here not knowing what, in the hundreds of things happening daily, should I share, if anything, or I will begin a blog post and Amanda,Meghan, Kara, Julia, Tom, a cat...will need something, or I need to change diapers, or the phone rings, and my train of thought is disrupted and I find I cannot get back to the same line of thinking. I have more drafts than I have posts, truly. Once in a while I read through each draft and then delete them. Sometimes I save them in a journal I keep, knowing that some thoughts are best kept to oneself.

I am hoping that once a week at least, I can use the Simple Woman’s Daybook as a way to post something relevant about our little family and our lives.


So here goes, for today at least:

Outside my window.... I see growing clouds, the last few weeks we have been getting sorely needed rain, though it traps the girls in the house, our back yard is landscaped in mud and more mud. The rain is bringing the desert to life, this spring we will have a plethora of bright blooms to enjoy!

I am thinking...of time away, it has been on my mind a lot lately, just a few hours, half a day, something to renew my mind and spirit, I love my girls, but I need Me time.

I am thankful for... my health, my family, having a home to live in, a car that runs, and friends who listen without judging me.

I am learning...that even at age 50 I learn something new every day.

From the kitchen...it is lunchtime, Amanda is standing at my elbow reminding me that she is ready to eat. She will have her food, Kara ate cucumbers and apple slices,and chicken, corn and black bean chili, Meghan is eating just the chili, she does not like veggies like Kara does.

I am wearing...old workout pants that are too tight, a polka dot tee and pink flip flops, I am proud of myself for getting out of my pajama's today, some days I wear them all day...no need to get clothes on when I rarely leave home, except that I prefer to be dressed in my day clothes, it makes me feel more productive!

I am creating...nothing at the moment, but I planning my garden for the spring. Deciding which trees to prune, and getting ready to prune my 40 rose bushes. What I do now will create the garden I want later.

I am going...no where soon, I am hoping we can go to Brian's new play next weekend.
I am reading...The Tao of the Defiant Woman, it is a very short book, but relevant to my stage of life right now.
The five principles of the Defiant Woman show how to defy outdated stereotypes, self-defeating behaviors and limitations, while maintaining inner peace:

• Recognize that your body is changing and be thankful that it continues to work as well as it does

• Understand that your relationships are ever evolving and you’re a work in progress too

• Treasure your friends and draw strength from the community of women

• Seek positive role models and strive to be a like example for those younger than you

• Know that the world too is continuing to develop and be content because there is always something new and exciting to learn

Around the house...I spend my days juggling cooking, cleaning, enjoying hugging, kissing and feeding, changing, and teaching my three youngest. Being an ear, a shoulder and a friend for my teen, and looking forward to my husbands arrival back home each day. With no outside job to go to now; it is just me, my family, and my home.
One of my favorite things...being awake after everyone has gone to bed for some quiet time alone with Facebook and my games, it is a nerdy thing I love.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Sunday is Eric's birthday, we will be eating cake and enjoying his company

Here is picture for thought I am sharing...

Brian, our youngest son, is talking about leaving our hometown. I knew that my children would likely decide to make their homes some place else, and we knew Brian had his eyes and heart set on NYC, he is an actor, so it makes sense to him, though he is talking of going someplace else for now.

It brought to mind our 4 days at the Equine retreat at the now dissolved Sunstone. We were supposed to get a horse to do what we wanted it to do; to walk over a rope, to pick up his foot, to run in circles. We had found that we really could not exert our will over the horse in the way we envisioned, instead, the horse had to decide that he wished to do as we asked of him. He had to know that we had the inner strength, the confidence in yourself.

I am hoping that my son will remember that we cannot force the life we want, having goals and dreams is important, but we need to be ready for each new stage and I am praying he is ready for this one. I am not certain that I am...to have him so far away with a limited income, it feels like we will never see him. That makes my heart thud, because he will be too far away to rush to his side if he needs us. (he has been on his own since he graduated) Letting go is the hardest lesson a mother has to learn.

No comments:

Forgive and forget?

My heart is pretty heavy today, happenings of the last week have wounded me; re-opening old wounds. Through this journey into the past, I re...