Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

31 for 21, See my child, not her syndrome

I took my oldest to the ENT
He looked at my daughters chart
He said those adenoids and tonsils have to come out.
I said, but doctor, you did not look in her throat
He said, everyone with Down syndrome has to have that operation.
I said, please look at her tonsils,
He looked and said they were not so bad.
I shook my head in sadness.


I took my sweet daughter to the orthopedic doctor
He looked at her chart and said
Of course, she has bad ankles,
She has Down syndrome
He did not look at my daughter
I said, but doctor look at her feet,
I think she needs orthotics,
He looked and agreed with me,
I dropped my head and sighed.


I took my two daughters to the GI doctor
He was in a hurry because he had to get to the hospital.
He looked at their charts and asked me what was wrong
I told him one was spitting up and the other was percolating
He said most kids with Down syndrome have GERD and
He threw scripts at us as he rushed out the door.
He did not look at my daughters or order tests.
I shook my head in exasperation


Dear medical professionals, when you look at my daughters
Or see their diagnosis on a chart, do not assume
That just because they have Down syndrome,
They automatically have every ailment associated with it.
Look, listen, feel, do tests, and then tell me
What is wrong with my child?
My daughters are people, not a syndrome,
They deserve the same medical care that you would give any other child.


While I have your attention, when I come in with my child and
tell you something is wrong, please listen,
I know my child better than you do.
Maybe because I actually LOOK at her


Kris Levario. 2008 Copywritten

No comments:

Forgive and forget?

My heart is pretty heavy today, happenings of the last week have wounded me; re-opening old wounds. Through this journey into the past, I re...