Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Friday, October 15, 2010

31 for 21- day 15--About Down Syndrome


http://www.about-down-syndrome.com/index.html lots of links to follow

I found this poem again, I have it listed with Meghan's birth story:

Special Angel

(Down Syndrome Birth) by Sandy Eakle

As beautiful angels wings were
flying over the streets of gold,
the baby angels could only watch
since they weren't very old.

Then one day God stopped to talk
to a little one without wings,
just listen to the angels sing".

Confused yet excited the little
one said to the Lord,
"But I'm different from the others God
and not a miracle to behold".

"Oh, but yes you are," He said
with a hug and smile on his face.
"You're the greatest gift I can give
and a loving home you will grace".

You mean, tho I'm different
and will never be beautiful or smart
Someone will want me and give
me a place in their heart?"

"Gee God.....that person must be
special to be glad to have me,
Cause most folks would frown
and upset they would be."

God said, "your little heart was filled
with more love than most.
Cause I knew this family would love you
and hold you real close.

So go my little angel and take
the greatest gift I can bestow.
You're that "special" angel few people
have the honor to know."


I do think it is a nice poem except for two things; it says:


"But I'm different from the others God, and not a miracle to behold"


I am sorry, perhaps different, slightly, but my girls are miracles to behold. So many fetuses are so fragile, they do not make it to term, many are terminated by their parents before they have a chance to take their first breath, many have severe heart defects, intestinal blockages, and health issues that can take their lives way too soon. So my three healthy (thank goodness, thank you HF) girls are a miracle to behold. All children are miracles in my mind and heart.


and this:


"You mean, tho I'm different and will never be beautiful or smart"

Truly, all my children were special and precious to me, I loved them as soon as I felt them move for the first time while carrying them, and I thought my babies were better looking than any I have ever seen before! ALL of them, but Meghan was ethereal, she seemed to have a special inner glow that made her radiant. She was beautiful, she still is, and Kara and Amanda are also gorgeous little girls, from the inside out.

As far as intelligence goes, I do not believe that an IQ test can adequately test how smart my three youngest are. We test them according to our criteria, would we pass theirs? They are bright, inquisitive, and smart, it just takes them longer to learn.

Not everyone will be a Rhodes scholar, I certainly am not. Though my girls sure fit the criteria:

Rhodes' legacy specified four standards by which applicants were to be judged:

literary and scholastic attainments; (Very few people work harder to achieve academic success than people with Down syndrome, do they understand string theory...no)

energy to use one's talents to the full, as exemplified by fondness for and success in sports; (Ever seen Special Olympics?)

truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship; (Even more so than most typical people I know)

moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one's fellow beings. (Again, most people with Trisomy 21 have love as their guiding force)

If you want some insight into the struggles of people with Ds living in our super speed world (when their moves slower), read this book, I read it when Meghan was a baby:
http://www.amazon.com/Count-Us-Growing-Down-Syndrome/dp/015622660X

I love, adore, admire and respect all of my children. When you have a child with Down syndrome; you learn that they have a determination that most people envy, they try and try until they get it. What is more, they usually accomplish what they set out to do (Where there is a will, there is a way). They should be an example to today's youth who seem to give up faster than any other generation I know.

Forgive and forget?

My heart is pretty heavy today, happenings of the last week have wounded me; re-opening old wounds. Through this journey into the past, I re...