Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Dad, Mom, and baby Meghan

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Saying goodbye to another breast cancer warrior

An image designed by Kim Foltz in memory of Kathy


May 29th, I and hundreds of others lost a very dear friend to breast cancer.

Kathy was an exceptional person, always positive, caring, never had a bad word to say about anyone. She loved her family, even with stage 4 cancer, she rode her bike around Tokyo and attended all of her children's functions. It was not until December 2009 that she was forced to slow down a bit, brain mets....

Kathy and I never saw each other face to face, but we had many meaningful conversations about our common foe; breast cancer. She taught me a little about being an American living in another country, and educated a few of us on life in Japan.

She was an earnest supporter of our adoptions, and helped me be more positive when things went wrong, supporting me through the losses of two little girls who led us to the two daughters we have now.

As my Grandmother would have said; Kathy was a gem. This song brings to heart how it feels to say goodbye forever to friends, I will be OK, but I feel like a little piece of my heart dies every time I lose another sister to breast cancer. And each time, it gets harder to bear.

Please remember Kathy's children and all those who cared for her in your prayers.

Without you, the ground thaws
the rain falls
the grass grows

Without you,
the seeds root
the flowers bloom
the children play
The stars gleam
the poets dream
the eagles fly
without you

The Earth turns
the sun burns
but I die, without you

Without you, the breeze warms
the girl smiles
the cloud moves

Without you,
the tides change
the boys run
the oceans crash
The crowds roar the days soar
the babies cry
without you

The moon glows
the river flows
but I die without you

The world revives
colors renew
but I know blue
only blue
lonely blue
willingly blue

Without you

Without you, the hand gropes
the ear hears
the pulse beats

Without you, the eyes gaze
the legs walk
the lungs breathe
The mind churns
the heart yearns
the tears dry without you

Life goes on
but I'm gone'cause I die, without you
without you
without you
without you.....

2 comments:

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Prayers of comfort and peace going out to all who knew Kathy both on and off the internet.

Anonymous said...

Kris, what wonderful things to say about your friend Kathy. Arent we lucky in todays world that we can make friends yet never see one another. You have been a Great friend to her and I am sure you helped her as much as she helped you. I know she will be missed by so many on the internet and her family.
I will say a prayer for everyone that knew her.
carol

Forgive and forget?

My heart is pretty heavy today, happenings of the last week have wounded me; re-opening old wounds. Through this journey into the past, I re...